This is a service designed to assist clients who receive Social Security Income (SSI) for disability and/or mental health problems to manage and budget their monthly checks. We operate the largest non-profit Representative Payee in San Joaquin County overseeing accounts totalling over six million dollars. Our over 600 SSI disability recipients need and deserve competent, honest and sympathetic management of their funds.
Therefore it is our purpose to provide services that ensure the payment of rent, utilities and food needs first and then provide the recipient with funds that will provide for the purchase of their personal care items and services out of the clients remaining resources. Services will be provided in a way that encourages and respects client dignity and participation in determining the use of their funds.
How the program works:
- To be eligible for SSI a client must have received a determination of disability (insufficient mental capacity to manage their own financial affairs).
- The client so judged is awarded a standard amount of monthly public assistance (SSI).
- The recipient must select a payee- a responsible family member, friend or a public agency.
- In the case of GCRM Representative Payee Program (RPP), the recipient’s monthly check is electronically deposit in a restricted account set up for the purpose of receiving and dispensing said funds.
- RPP staff meet with the recipient to establish a budget to manage their funds. Once the budget is in place funds set aside for housing, utilities and food are of primary concern and are distributed first. After the primary concerns are met the recipient may have funds remaining to use for discretionary purposes. The remaining funds are budgeted for clothing and miscellaneous out of pocket expenses.
- Recipients receive mentoring to prioritize needs with wants and to develop their money management skills.For more information, please call (209) 320-2307 during business hours or e-mail RPP here. (Support This Program!)